Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Writing Wednesday

Well, I was trying to think of something April Foolsy for today, but I got distracted by the Google Maps April Fools Day "celebration." maps.google.com

If you search an address, you can turn the streets into paths for a game of Pac-Man. I played a few games and was reminded why I don't play Pac-Man that much.

So, a topic that came up during one of the many Twitter parties I was participating in asked if you plot your writing or if you make it up as you go along.

My first MS was at least a year of planning in my head. Like I mentioned before, I didn't know what I wanted the story to be. A comic? A script (not really)? So, I would just figure out the events in my head. Then, I outlined the story multiple times. I had a general outline, with just the major plot points. Then I outlined from one point to another (to help with pacing and to make sure the words I used were actually progressing toward something).

My second MS, which I finished drafting last week, was less planned. And it shows. Round 1 of editing is going to be killer. Not only is my word count short (not something I worry about because I know a few scenes that weren't written yet), but it is out of order. I'm going to have to rearrange everything and make sure references to events occur at the appropriate time.

I started planning another book, using post-its of many, many colors, mapping plot points, character introductions, reveals, and everything else imaginable. I like to have a plan when I'm writing, but I also like the characters to dictate what really happens (I mean, it's their story, right?)

I have notebooks full of scribbles, ideas, facts, and everything imaginable for the stories I'm working. I call my progress "organized chaos." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment