Monday, April 27, 2015

Monday Musings

Last week I (finally) had the chance to finish Rebel Queen by Michelle Moran. So, here are some of my thoughts on it. I know there are plenty reviews on it, but I like to recommend books to people and my two cents are free. I'll try to avoid spoilers.

She is my favorite historical fiction author and I was thrilled when Rebel Queen came out - and it did not disappoint.

Ok, yes, I was disappointed it was on the shorter side, since I ate it up way to fast, but that's life.

I am unfortunately ignorant on most details of history, despite my love of it, so historical fictions are great reads for me because I'm never sure who is going to die and who's going to get married. This was continued for me in Rebel Queen, about the Rani Lakshmibai, told in the point of view of Sita, a guard in her personal all-women army.

If you have read her other books, Nefertiti, The Heretic Queen, Cleopatra's Daughter, and Madame Tussaud or The Second Empress, this book falls closer to the first four as it doesn't switch POVs. I usually like different POVs, but with Michelle Moran's writing and choice of characters, I usually want to stay with the main protagonist.

The difference is - which might be a spoiler, so be forewarned - it's told after the fact. Sita is actually retelling the events, so there are moments when her older, experienced voice reflects on things she didn't understand when she was younger. It was nice though, to see Sita's hindsight on the events of her life that got her where she is at the end.

In addition, I adore the introduction of words, like purdah, that people are generally not familiar with. If there was ever a question about a words meaning, there was a glossary in the back of the book, defining certain words. It needs to be said that while reading I could see the depth of knowledge and research that went into Rebel Queen was intimidating - and greatly appreciated. The world really came to life and I am happy to say I have an expanded view of what was going on during the Victorian Era in England.

Anyway, to the story itself, I always love Moran's choice in people who are telling the story. Sita is a magnificent character - strong, thoughtful, witty, and very human. Her horizon is expanded from her village beginnings to knowing the Rani and Raja. Sita is a relatable character and has a wonderful voice.

Here is a minor spoiler about the ending, if you know nothing about the mid-to-late 1800s in India and English involvement then it probably isn't, but it's a sad/tragic ending. I told someone it's bittersweet, but more on the bitter side. So, if you are looking for a happy ending, you may want to stay away from historical fictions.

The good news, though, was I wasn't wrecked over the ending, but it did put things into perspective.

Well, anyway, check out her books if you like historical fictions, Ancient Egypt, Reign of Terror France, or English East India Trading Company India time.

No comments:

Post a Comment