Monday, April 6, 2015

Monday Musings

I missed my Friday post. I am sad over this. I had started planning a post that was going to have two recipes in it, one for cookie dough truffles I found, and a fruity lemonade (pink in color).

Well, that was last week, and this is the first full week of April 2015 (in case you wanted facts).

I hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend. There was much chocolate to be had and plenty of pictures of bunnies and chicks to change any sour mood to warm and fuzzy.

I have always lacked the ability to recall full definitions of words. I can use them properly in a sentence (most of the time), but often there is nuance that I miss.

Anyway, I saw some people I follow on Twitter talk about how they don't understand how people could ever be bored when there is so much that they can do/need to do.

People can clean, read, write, draw, do other housework/(or work work), exercise, play with pets/family, etc.

But here comes my problem. Whenever I'm bored, I can list all the stuff I could do, but none of it interests me. I would say "I'm bored", and my parents would list such things as I mentioned, but none of the tasks sounded remotely interesting. I even shouted, in my sleep, "I'm bored!" (which I rarely talk in my sleep, so it must have been a serious matter for me).

According to merriam-Webster, boredom is: (n) the state of being weary and restless through lack of interest.

So, boredom doesn't sound like the lack of things to do, like many people seem to insist, but a state of mind or being where we lose interest in things. Suggesting things for the bored person is helpful, it has helped me once or twice, but it might do better to suggest a change of thinking for the person to get them to see the dull tasks as interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree that its more a case of not finding something you feel like doing, rather than a case of there not being anything to do. I only wish I had the time to 'be bored'!

    Stopping by from the Shark Tank :)

    ReplyDelete