Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Wednesday Writing

Today some people were talking about words that teens use in everyday conversations. Some of them are abbreviations or derivatives of words, while others are completely out of nowhere.

I don't remember using any strange words in high school, but I'm sure I did. I do remember a time my mother heard a word on TV, a word people used at school all the time, but I had never said. I had to define it for her and that was not an enjoyable experience. I don't remember what the word was, but I did tell her not to bother using it.

Some of the words mentioned today sounded strange, but am I really one to judge? I'm writing of a fantasy world - full of strange sounding, made-up words. I combine English words with extra letters, mash Finnish and Spanish words together, or put a string of letters together that seem to sound good. I usually do a search on the word to make sure it isn't something already - especially if it's something I shouldn't use in a sentence, ever.

Of course, then there are those who invent their own languages in books and movies. I received an email from Duolingo, a language app, and they were advertising that they added more languages. Under coming soon, Klingon was added. Not a useful language in everyday conversations, but I can think of a few benefits of learning a language so few would know.

I would love to create my own language in my MS, but I always joke that I'm not even fluent in English (I'm positive there is a Professor I had who would vouch for that). However, if I'm determined to master English, become fluent in at least Spanish, Japanese, and conversational German, why can't I create my own language? Why can't you? Teens - and industries - do it everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment