Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Tuesday Tech

Today is actually a techie day because I found an interesting article about 3D printing: 3D-Printed Exoskeleton Hands Could Augment Human Bodies (Link goes out to PSFK).

3D printing has really taken off in the past few years. On Etsy, there are many customs, creatures, and add-ons that were printed using someone's 3D printing. It's really fascinating to see what people are using the technology for.

This article shows yet another facet of the printer's capabilities, helping humans do more, better. The main image, a hand with an exoskeleton that looks like claws or talons, is a pretty cool sight. While it's awesome we may be able to do work differently, I think it looks like a pretty awesome addition to a costume.

But I wonder what else people will be making with 3D printers. With everyone who does good, or really cool things, there tends to be people who create more nefarious things (right now all I can picture is all those Scooby-Doo badies having an easier time with their costumes).

Yes, I'm leading to a theme/idea/inspiration for writing. It may be cheesy, it may be brilliant, but imagine an antagonist who utilized 3D printing for, well, whatever they do. Of course, you can flip this. Imagine a Batman-esque superhero, minus the wealth. Instead they use their skills to create something to increase their normal, human abilities.

Just an interesting thought.

Anyway, I don't actually own a 3D printer, but one day, I know I'll be getting one.

No comments:

Post a Comment