Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Tuesday Tech

For the video game lovers, both hardcore and casual, I saw a big announcement that broke today in Japan:

Nintendo is going to be making smartphone games!

This means characters like Mario, Bowser, Link, Zelda, and Samus could be coming to smartphones (like I didn't already have a problem with my battery).

Nintendo is partnering with DeNA, a mobile gaming company, to make this possible. What I really liked is that DeNA uses a "freenium" model. That means it's free to play, but to get enhancements like extra lives or power-ups, you have to pay.

This article (I've seen two so far) mentions a fear that Nintendo might steer into the "pay for power-ups" model for their console games. I personally don't see why they would bother. Their model works now (especially with this amiibo craze).

Now someone is going to need to invent an indestructible phone or padding for people. Have you seen photos of what happened to people's handheld consoles when Super Smash Bros came out? Phones won't be able to handle the fury.

No comments:

Post a Comment