Monday, March 16, 2015

Monday Musings

When the going gets tough, the tough get Mad Men.

Now, I have never actually watched Mad Men, but I know it's popular. Many places I turn talk about or reference the show, proving just how big it is in pop culture.

Why the post though?

Well, this morning I read an article on Business Insider saying "Every studio passed on 'Mad Men' at first; here's the epic story of how it finally got on air." It's a long article, but it details not just the process of getting a network to pick up the series, but how agents and actors/writers parted ways because of negative opinions.

In an industry full of form rejections, it's nice not to just read about best sellers that had stacks of rejections, but hearing that novel writers are not alone in the mine field of rejections is refreshing.

I am in the midst of rejections, and I am sure that I will be seeing many more in my future. But, if I give up now, not only will I disappoint myself and my characters, but (yes, you need to be a little cocky to say this) I'll disappoint the world.

A key take away from the article? Persistence. It's important to not to give up on something, but sometimes that something needs a break. The timing may not be right. As many novelists have hears, Dystopian and Paranormal Romances are tough sells right now. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't write that Dystopian Paranormal Romance. Who knows, you might be the exception to the saturated market.

For those who are not familiar with the publishing industry, Dystopian and Paranormal Romances may be hot now (or dying down in my opinion), but publishers are looking about two years into the future. Two years from now, we may read one or two dystopians, but not many. We'll be crazy over Sci-fi cozies or something.

Well, that's my shiny penny on the topic.

Remember, shoulders square, chin up, and get your work done!

No comments:

Post a Comment